|Oct 7, 2019
|PC > Adventure, Casual, Indie
The Pilgrims Game, also known as the “Squanto” game, is a traditional game played by the Native American Wampanoag tribe and the English Pilgrims who settled in Plymouth, Massachusetts in the 1600s. It is a game that has been passed down for generations and is still enjoyed by many today as a way to celebrate and honor the historical relationship between the two cultures.
The Origins of the Pilgrims Game
The Pilgrims Game was said to have been created by Squanto, a Native American who played a major role in helping the Pilgrims survive their first winter in the New World. Squanto taught the Pilgrims various survival skills and acted as a mediator between them and the Native American tribes in the area.
Legend has it that after the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag tribe forged a peaceful treaty, Squanto created the Pilgrims Game as a way to build camaraderie and strengthen their relationship. The game was also seen as a way to teach the Pilgrims the importance of corn in the Native American culture, as it played a vital role in their survival.
How the Game is Played
The Pilgrims Game is a simple but strategic game that is played with corn kernels, sticks, and a playing board drawn on the ground or on a flat surface. The game is typically played with two players, one representing the Pilgrims and the other representing the Native Americans.
The game board is composed of two rows with each row having six equally spaced holes. The players then take turns dropping the corn kernels into the holes, with the goal of getting the most kernels into their opponent’s row. The player with the most corn kernels in their opponent’s row wins the game.
The Symbolism of the Pilgrims Game
Aside from being a fun and challenging game, the Pilgrims Game also holds a deeper meaning. Each element of the game represents something significant in the historical relationship between the Pilgrims and the Native Americans.
The corn kernels represent the Native Americans, as corn was a staple food in their culture. The sticks represent the English muskets, which were used for hunting and protection. The game board itself symbolizes the land that both groups shared and the two rows represent the two cultures living side by side.
Preserving the Tradition
The Pilgrims Game has been passed down from generation to generation and continues to be played today by the Wampanoag tribe and other Native American communities. It is also a popular activity in schools and educational programs to teach about the history and culture of the Pilgrims and the Native Americans.
To keep the tradition alive, various efforts have been made to document and teach the game to future generations. The Wampanoag tribe holds an annual “Pilgrims Game Day” to showcase and share the game with the community. There are also handmade boards and game sets for sale, with proceeds going towards supporting the Native American community.
“The Pilgrims Game is more than just a game, it is a symbol of friendship and peace between two very different cultures. It is a reminder of the bond that was created and continues to be cherished.” – Wampanoag Tribal Elder
The Pilgrims Game may seem like a simple game, but it holds great significance in the history and culture of the Pilgrims and the Native Americans. It serves as a reminder of the peaceful relationship that was formed and the importance of preserving traditions and cultures. So next time you see a game of Pilgrims being played, remember the story behind it and the values it represents.
- OS: Windows 7 SP1 or better
- Processor: 2 GHz Intel i5 or better
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: Dedicated GPU
- Storage: 800 MB available space
How to Download
- Click on the "Download" button above. This will open a new tab or window.
- In the new tab or window, you should see a pop-up or download prompt asking you where to save the game file.
- Select a location on your computer where you would like to save the file and click "Save".
- Once the download is complete, navigate to the location where you saved the file.
- Double-click on the downloaded file to begin the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. This may include agreeing to terms and conditions and choosing a destination folder for the game.
- Once the installation is complete, you should see an option to launch the game. Click on this option to start playing Pilgrims.
- If you encounter any issues during the installation or while playing the game, make sure to check for updates and patches on the game's official website or through the game's main menu.