|The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass
|May 6, 2021
|PC > Adventure
The Sekimeiya is a traditional Japanese game that involves spinning a handmade glass top and attempting to knock over smaller tops placed within a designated playing area. It is a game of skill and precision, and it has been a beloved pastime in Japan for centuries.
The origins of the Sekimeiya can be traced back to the Edo period in Japan (1603-1868). It was created by a craftsman named Tomita Chozaburo, who was known for making beautiful glass objects. Tomita was inspired by the traditional Japanese game of tops and wanted to create a more intricate version using his skills in glassmaking.
Initially, the Sekimeiya was played only by the aristocracy and the upper class in Japan. However, as the game became more popular, it spread to the common people and became a staple in Japanese culture.
The Sekimeiya is played by spinning a large, heavy top made of glass. This top is called the “dai” and can range from 10 to 20 centimeters in diameter. The players take turns spinning the “dai” and attempting to knock over smaller tops placed within a designated playing area, which is usually a circle drawn on the ground.
The smaller tops are called “jjimis,” and they are about the size of a coin. Each player has their own set of jjimis, usually three or five in total. The jjimis are placed within the playing area, and the goal is to knock them over with the “dai.” The player gets to keep any jjimis that they successfully knock over.
The game continues until all the jjimis have been knocked over, and the player with the most points wins. In some variations of the game, points are also awarded for landing the “dai” in a designated area or knocking over specific jjimis.
The Art of Spinning
As with any precision-based game, there is a true art to spinning the “dai” in the Sekimeiya. Players must carefully hold the top between their thumb and index finger and use their other hand to flick it with just the right amount of force to make it spin. The direction and speed of the spin are crucial in determining the trajectory of the “dai” and whether it will be able to knock over the jjimis.
More experienced players have mastered the art of controlling the “dai” to a tee and can manipulate its movements to knock over multiple jjimis in one spin.
The Spun Glass Tops
One of the most unique aspects of the Sekimeiya is the handmade glass tops used in the game. Each top is meticulously crafted by skilled glassmakers and is one of a kind. The tops come in various shapes, sizes, and colors, making each game a visually stunning experience.
Some players even collect and trade different tops to add to their collection and add a sense of personalization to the game.
Today, the Sekimeiya is still played in Japan, both as a traditional pastime and as a competitive sport. Tournaments are held, and there are even professional players who make a living by participating in them.
The game has also gained international recognition and can be found in other countries, such as Germany, where it is known as “Krätschmer.” With its beautiful glass tops and precise gameplay, the Sekimeiya is becoming a favorite among players all over the world.
The Sekimeiya is a game that combines skill, precision, and the beauty of traditional Japanese art. It is a unique and captivating pastime that has stood the test of time and continues to be a beloved part of Japanese culture. So the next time you come across a Sekimeiya, give it a try and see if you can master the art of spinning the “dai” and knocking over the jjimis.
- OS: Windows 7
- Processor: 1.8GHz Dual-Core
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: Integrated graphics
- Storage: 3 GB available space
How to Download
- Open the web browser on your computer and go to the webpage where the direct "Download" button link for "The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass game" is located.
- Click on the "Download" button to start the download process.
- A pop-up box may appear asking you to choose the location where you want to save the game file. Select a convenient location on your computer such as the desktop, or a specific folder.
- The game file will start downloading. Wait for it to finish downloading. The time may vary depending on your internet speed.
- Once the download is complete, navigate to the location where you saved the game file.
- Double-click on the game file to start the installation process.
- A pop-up window may appear asking for your permission to run the installation file. Click "Yes" or "Run" to proceed.
- The installation wizard will open. Follow the instructions given on the screen to complete the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, a shortcut for the game will be created on your desktop or in the designated installation folder.
- Double-click on the game shortcut to open and start playing "The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass game".