|We Know The Devil
|Pillow Fight, Worst Girls Games
|Feb 15, 2016
|PC > Adventure, Casual, Indie
We Know The Devil is an indie visual novel game developed by Pillow Fight and released in 2015. This unique horror game has gained a cult following and critical acclaim for its storytelling, art style, and queer representation. In this article, we will take a closer look at what makes We Know The Devil such a standout game.
In We Know The Devil, players take on the role of three teenagers attending a summer camp for troubled youth. The game follows Jupiter, Venus, and Neptune – three kids who have been chosen to stay up all night in a cabin and confront the devil. Each character represents a different aspect of queerness – Venus as the lesbian, Neptune as the non-binary, and Jupiter as the transgender.
“You are one of us and we know the devil. We know he’s stronger than us, but we seek the devil nonetheless.”
The game has a unique and eerie atmosphere, with a mix of horror, humor, and social commentary. The cabin itself feels claustrophobic, and players must make choices throughout the game that affect the relationships between the characters and ultimately determine their fate.
The Art Style
The art style of We Know The Devil is simple yet striking. The characters are represented as chibi-style anime characters, with black and white backgrounds and minimal use of color. This simplicity allows the game to focus on the characters and their emotions, adding to the overall mood of the game.
- Jupiter is depicted as tall, with short pink hair and a masculine appearance. They are often seen wearing a shirt with the phrase “I’m just a girl” – a nod to the struggles of transgender individuals.
- Venus is the smallest of the three, with long blue hair and a feminine appearance. She is often seen wearing a flower crown, adding to her innocent and carefree nature.
- Neptune is seen as the non-binary character, with short green hair and a androgynous appearance. They are often depicted with a cigarette, and their clothing style is a mix of masculine and feminine elements.
The Queer Representation
One of the most significant aspects of We Know The Devil is its portrayal of queer characters. The game explores the struggles and complexities of being queer, especially in a society that often demonizes and ostracizes them. Each character represents a different aspect of queerness, and their interactions and relationships are a reflection of the current state of the LGBT+ community.
Moreover, the game also addresses mental health issues and the pressure and expectations placed on teenagers to conform to societal norms. Through the characters’ stories and struggles, players can gain a better understanding of the challenges faced by queer youth.
The soundtrack of We Know The Devil is haunting and atmospheric, adding to the overall immersive experience of the game. It includes a mix of electronic and ambient music, perfectly setting the tone for the game’s themes and story.
We Know The Devil may be a relatively short game, but its impact on players is long-lasting. It is a game that challenges societal norms and addresses important issues, while also providing an engaging and entertaining experience. It has also opened the doors for more indie games to explore similar themes and provide more representation for marginalized groups.
If you are a fan of visual novel games or enjoy horror tales with a unique twist, We Know The Devil is a must-play. Its nonlinear storytelling, memorable characters, and thought-provoking themes make it a one-of-a-kind experience that will stay with players long after they finish the game.
We Know The Devil is available on Steam and itch.io, so be sure to check it out and experience this truly exceptional game for yourself.
- OS: Windows 7
- Processor: 2+ Ghz
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: Intel 3000HD or greater
- Sound Card: Optional, but recommended
How to Download
- Click on the "Download" button link given above.
- A pop-up window will appear, prompting you to choose a location to save the game file. Select a location on your computer and click "Save".
- Once the download is complete, navigate to the location where the game file was saved.
- Double-click on the game file to begin the installation process.
- A installation wizard will appear, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, click on the game shortcut on your desktop or navigate to the installation folder to open the game.
- The game is now ready to be played. Enjoy!